Monday, September 15, 2008

Take a Child Outside Week... I've Got a Better Idea... How About Take a Child Outside Whenver the Weather is Great?

Apparently the week between September 24-30 is "Take A Child Outside" week...

The purpose is to encourage parents to take their child out for a hike or enjoy the fresh air...

This is good and bad...

I think it is awesome to meld with the child and do something together...

But one week ain't enough! And this is where it gets sad...

You see, there is a rising epidemic of child obesity everywhere...

Shoot, I remember when I was growing up... my mother would shoo me and my brothers out the door after breakfast during the summer months... and we can only come back for some lunch and then later on when it was time to come home for dinner and bedtime...

That was 25 years ago...

And now... kids prefer to stay in their rooms and use the computer online, watch tee-vee and play their video games.

And eat tons of junk food.

No more fresh air... no more exercises and kid games...

I get a little nostalgic about what life used to be and what it is now...

They say computers and modern conveniences are a boon for productivity and advancement of civilization...

But I don't think so.

Let's make it "Take a Child Outside" whenever the weather is great and shut the computers, tvs and video games off.

Are you with me here?

No comments: